RSS

How a leader should start the day

25 Mar

ws_Good_Morning_Sun_1152x864

The beginning of a day is really the most important part of anyone’s leadership. It lets you plan and prepare for the challenges of the day. You’ve probably heard a lot of people say you should get up at 5am and start your exercise regimen. I personally don’t exercise in the morning. My mind is moving on all cylinders, but my body is not. When I have tried morning workouts, around 2:30 my body starts shutting down. It works for some people, just not for me. I save my exercise time for the late afternoon. It gives my mind a chance to relax and unwind.

In the morning I do a few things consistently every day. I read something positive or instructional for 20 minutes, I plan my day’s activities, I pray, and I sit and think for 10 uninterrupted minutes. So many people never take the time to let their mind wonder. When you let your mind wonder, it is able to relax and go into alpha state. This is when you get your best ideas. Don’t believe me? Where were you the last time you had a great idea? It was probably some place like the shower, or on a walk, or in the car with the radio off.

Many think they can work and think at the same time. They become expert multi-taskers, answering emails, phone calls, and handling problems as they arise while still doing the workload. The TRUTH is no one can multi-task. They can only switch and every time you switch task, it takes you eleven minutes to get refocused. On average we are interrupted every seven minutes. So this means we hardly ever get any work done.

CNN did a study and said that when you switch task you lose 10 IQ points. When you smoke marijuana, you lose 8 IQ points. So you would be better off working STONED than multi-tasking. That’s why it’s so important to have time in the morning to plan your day and let your mind drop into alpha state.

Look at it this way. You wouldn’t wait till the end of the month to get all of your important work done, would you? Then why wait till the end of the day to do the same thing? Get a jump start on your day, and avoid being like the slackers who come in right on time and look as if they need about five cups of espresso to wake up and get going.

9 Comments

Posted by on March 25, 2013 in Productivity

Tags: ,

9 responses to “How a leader should start the day

1. cranstonholden

August 22, 2013 at 8:46 am

Reblogged this on todaysmanager.

2. learnactshare - Pete Ferguson

August 22, 2013 at 9:18 am

Great blog. Do you happen to have the link to the CNN IQ story?

3. Kate @ Did That Just Happen?

August 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

My hours are work start before everyone else’s, I need to have some uninterrupted time to get my head on straight and get organized for the day. I usually spend that first hour going through the emails and planning my day. Then, once I have an idea of what I need to accomplish, then I will start by answering emails and taking care of my to-do list! It’s made me a much more productive person. If I have a big task to accomplish, then I will shut down emails and my phone for 45 minutes and just focus on the task.

4. Kate @ Did That Just Happen?

August 22, 2013 at 11:18 am

hours at work**

5. Bernie Beck Jr

August 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Great blog…again! The part about task-switching is spot on! So much waste occurs via the perception of being an “effective multi-tasker”.
    I find the mornings to be a perfect opportunity for any “last-minute” pre-day planning as well as the chance to seize a brief quiet time or meditation before running off into a day filled with interruptions…

6. witzshared

August 22, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Good stuff and the shower is my personal think tank.

7. mackel9

August 26, 2013 at 4:21 am

Reblogged this on Mackel9's Blog and commented:
    I am re-blogging this for my #TGIM segment, it brings out something I think about in a much more clearer way than I could. Enjoy

8. ramakrishnan6002

May 10, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Reblogged this on Gr8fullsoul.